Saturday, November 28, 2020

Shepherd's pie (ish)

Making do because I had no peas and no carrots and just 3 old potatoes. But I had lamb stew meat (a little over 2lbs I think). Some lovely baby bella mushrooms, garlic, olive oil, onions, celery, fresh herbs, and some red wine. Oh, and Bisquick (it is handy sometimes). 
And a nice enameled roasting pan with lid  (actually the cheap kind I got at Walmart for a cooking emergency once)
Saute a couple of minced garlic cloves in olive oil. I singed them again but decided that would work. Throw is a few handfuls of chopped celery and the lamb on medium. Once the lamb was browned I added ~8 cloves garlic, some more celery, half a large onion (in big chunks), those 3 potatoes cubed and then the mushrooms just cut in halves. I tied a bunch of fresh oregano, rosemary, thyme and sage up and put that in (mostly rosemary). Then wine (1/2 cup?) And enough water to come 1/2 way up and some salt. I let that come to a boil then turn it down and put the lid on and left it to simmer for a couple of hours. I added more red wine and water as needed to keep the liquid up. I stirred it every now and then. 
When all ingredients were tender I made basic bisquick (yes, a cheat) for about 12 biscuits and patted handfuls to about 3/4 inch thick and covered the stew. Baked at 400 until top turning "golden brown". It needed a little more salt at the table which is how I like things. 
Served with a nice spring salad. 
Eat outside wearing wool. (From same farm)

No comments:

Post a Comment