Thursday, May 15, 2014

Slow cooker pork shoulder and the joy of roasts

Yes dear children I am trying to catch up... As you know last summer I discovered (what everyone else knew) about how much easier a big roast can make your life. And when I say "roast" I really mean any big chunk of meat you cook. Because once you've cooked it then all week it is there for sandwiches, salads, fried rice, sauces, soups and just plain leftovers. Why did it take so long for me to figure this out?

 And one of our favorites was the pork shoulder roast so here is how I did it (more or less):

Put big pork shoulder roast (bone in or out, but the netting with the bone out is possibly more of a nuisance than the bone, so take it off) in a big crock pot in the MORNING.

Pour on several cups of white wine. It should be surrounded but not drowned. A sweetish one is good but keep it cheap.
Then a tablespoon or so of whole peppercorns. White or black -I prefer the white ones but both work.

Salt the top of the roast (oh, fat side up if it's not too late) and add some sprigs of rosemary.

Turn the crock pot to high, switch it to low when things start to smell really good. Or just low all day. It kinda depends on the crockpot I guess, but honestly I've been very inexact about this and have found little difference.

In the EVENING serve the pulled pork with potatoes etc etc etc. Keep your dad under control if you have big plans for more meals. If you can put all that's leftover and juices together in the fridge the next day you can scoop off the fat. This is why I love my crockpot with the removable"crock" part. Never really thought I'd be a slow cooker fan but I totally am now.

The pigs in the picture are Hawaiian and we fed them but they still looked rather tough to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment